Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Stump the Dummy

Dear Readers,

It seems that when it rains it pours - at least as far as posting new blogs is concerned.

Today was confirmation night and it went pretty well. This was the first one I have taught (the pastor is gone) and the topic was "Introduction to the Scripture" for the 8th graders. We had a great time and the kids were really engaged!

At the end of every session I have them turn in a question about the lesson, God, life, how faith relates to life - anything. But they have to turn in one per week. They put their name on the question and then I get busy with my own homework and write them out a response by the following week. They usually ask really great question - they become some of my best teachers. Here is a selection of the great questions they turned in this week. Enjoy!:

1. If God doesn't want us to sin, why did he put the tree of knowledge in the Garden of Eden?
2. Did Martain Luther start the Luthern chirch? (sic)
3. Over the times that you are influenced to move away from God, how does he keep bringing you back to him?
4. Why did God want to name Jesus, Jesus?
5. Why did the people call the Bible, the Bible and where did they get all the names for the chapters?
6. How can God love someone through someone when he already loves the person?
7. What are some ways that we can turn away from God, and how can we refrain from this as much as possible?
8. Why does God forgive every person no matter what the person does?
9. If we beleive that we will go to heaven for believing in our God, then what will happen to the people that believe in a different God or no God at all?
10. What is the job of an angel?
11.Why does the Bible have weird stories?
12.Can the Bible be added on to?
13.If all your sins are forgiven , then will you be forgiven for murdering?
14.How do you think God watches us all?
15.Why did they decide to put Song of Songs in the Bible?
16. If God created everything, then why did he create the Devil?
17.Where did the Devil come from?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to answer some of these, please throw your hat in with ideas! I really enjoy these kids. They are an insightful group, aren't they? There's nothing more challenging than a group of 8th graders in the grips of junior high - but I'm convinced that God has a stronger hold.

7 comments:

Dean Grier said...

Oo! Oo! Pick me! Pick me!

#2 -- Which one of you Lutherans will start the Martian chirch?
#5 -- Focus groups, then cast lots.
#9 -- They go to IHOP.
#10 -- Mostly "other duties as assigned by supervisor."
#14 -- Delegation. I'm watching you, Wazowski!
#15 -- For 8th graders.
#16-17 -- God really likes narrative suspense, and keeping His Son on His toes.

Hey, this is kinda easy!

Dean Grier said...

Alternate for #16-17 (I know, I know, there can only be one right answer, but here's another one anyways): I'd really prefer we not speak that way about Don.

Rebecca said...

I have also often felt that confirmation kids are great teachers. I always learn something from them when teaching them. And they always bring a different perspective to things. They are also the best Bull-s*** detectors I know. I can't get away with much fancy footwork.

Natalie said...

Thanks, Dean! Now I don't have to do my homework. I'll let you know what the kiddies think.

Oh - and should I give Don your home number? I'm sure he'd like to offer his appreciation for your sticking up for him. :)

Anonymous said...

I'd maybe keep an eye on the kid who asked #14...
-Laura W.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, meant #13. Homicide makes me nervous.

Natalie said...

#13 is a teenybopper - she probably wields a vicious makeup bag and I've seen her wield a sharp edged tongue to those girls who get in the way of her choice male prey.