Thursday, October 18, 2007

My Italian Crush

Pat Rodio has lived up the street from me on Cedar in Fairfax, just at the halfway point of our long avenue, across from the old Keith mansion. He is a pillar of Fairfax City as one of the oldest residents and most involved in political processes of anyone out here. From the park service to the building up of residential zones, a park with the Rodio name, all the way down the details of street signage (the stop sign midway down our street marks where his youngest was killed by an automobile many, many years ago) and supporting the Little League baseball teams, Mr. Rodio has been involved in all aspects of Fairfax civil and political life. Mr. Rodio also likes to eat at Old Country Buffet every blessed day for lunch.
He is 87, about 5'5", feisty, and proudly Italian-American.

Most importantly, I am proud to be one of his two "favorite girlfriends" (the other one is my Mom!). What can he say? He's got a natural thing for Gessert women! He called my home today because "a little bird told him [I] was in town and [he] needed a little flirt time." When Mr. Rodio would be out on a walk and see me leave with a date, whether it be to prom or otherwise, he duly threatened: "hurt her and I'll break your knees." It's good to have links to the mafia.

He has followed me every step of the way, buying Girl Scout cookies only from me (I was his girlfriend beginning in kindergarten!) and making darn sure I was making the grade in school. It is strong men like him - rising to the top with a modest education, insatiable curiosity, deep love for his neighbor, and of course an incurable passion for old jazz - that we can look to today and thank God for.

Where have you gone Patrick Rodio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you... woo woo woo...

But before I get ahead of myself and dive onto the soap box (Mr. Rodio probably knows the origins of the idiom...!), I will always be so glad that my first boyfriend was and continues to be Mr. Patrick Rodio.


Check out a map to Rodio Park:
www.fairfaxva.gov/ParksRec/CityParks.asp

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not know if Mr Rodio gets your blog, but he could be the answer to many of your 8th graders questions (Sort of like Jesus, only with skin). And I may be out of line here, but i see this man as the foil to "Don". Lucky you!

boB

Natalie said...

BOB!! WHICH BOB ARE YOU?? :)

Lrw said...

Can he get me a job? Mafia or government, I'm not picky.
-Laura W.

Natalie said...

No. But I think he could get you a primo table at Old Country Buffet.