Thursday, January 24, 2008

Valparainsnow Windyana

I have no photo elements to todays post, but it has been a bit too long and I thought it would be a good time to post.

Jerry seems to think I may make it through an entire year without ever having to do a funeral. He might be right - and even though the practice may be good, I'd rather do mock-ups with a plastic dolly than play with the fates of the people here. But I've become concerned at the prospects now that we are barreling into February. Apparently people stick it out through the holidays and then choose January to become ill. Colon cancer appears to be the most popular choice. Some of it may be conscious, some of it not. But it seems that quite a few bodies have declared all out war on their owners.

When I first arrived here in Valparaiso (often referred by yocals as the "Vale of Paradise") I did the obligatory round of visits. Hospitals, shut-ins, and my beloved nursing homes. Of course I believe visitation is a good and necessary part of ministry. All Christians, with or without a seminary education, are called to pick up the mantle of ministry and visit the homebound and infirm. There is no two bones about it: human contact makes the healing - or even the dying - a little less lonely. But as the year progresses there is something much less rote about the visits. There is not the sense that I am simply going to sit by a bedside, listen and hold a hand, then say a prayer and hand over the Gospel, then go home to a nice cup of tea.

Now, I know these people. Their faces follow me home and invade my personal prayer time. There is magnetism that draws me back to the hospital without the instructions from Jerry to go. There is a lot of pain to see these dear people hurt and cry. The prayers become closer and less like a preplanned laundry list - and sometimes I have to choke down and act like the staid Norwegian I'm not.

My dear Vickie is in the hospital. And Pat... and Weivel... Witey... Gary... Crystal... Dan... Bob... and Lois. Roger is still busy dying and Dolores is still there with him. I hate that. I hate that these bodies are revolting against the dear people I love and making it difficult to visit and pray.

Ministry is nothing like a 9-5. I take the "work" home and to my bedside and am still unsure how to "leave it at church." Much of me does not care to leave it at church because to do so would seem so callous. There is something comforting about telling Vickie that I was thinking about her yesterday - and really having done it - and wishing there were something supernatural about that. Perhaps some of her pain was somehow taken because of it. I know science doesn't work that way - but wouldn't it be great if it did?

I was studying scripture this morning and came across this Psalm (27) and thought it be a good rallying cry for these sicknesses that seems to be all-consuming. Not only does it address the evil that seeks to devour (the cancer...diabetes... Alzheimer's... etc.) but it puts some confidence in the hearer about what will happen to the attacker. It relates well to this weeks' Gospel text where Jesus says "follow me" (Mt 3:12-24). Many preachers this Sunday will try to preach this as an invitation but I think it ought to be preached as a command: "No really... follow me... I'm not kidding... Oh? You think you have a choice?" It is Jesus who wills that you trust God is interested in and cares about kicking all these illnesses into the ground (being cancer to the cancer, chemo to the chemo, and finally death to death). And it is God's strength that will provide the unimaginable trust necessary to get my dear parishioners and friends through their treatments, surgeries, stays in bed and anything else that comes

So get busy reading this Psalm - it will help you learn to thumb you nose at the devil. "Oh really Satan... and WHOM shall I fear?? Certainly not YOU! My God is advancing against anything you put in my path and you will never win." And then in the good words of Luther for those struggling with colon cancer and other illnesses, turn and fart in the devils' face. Because it is in the good and holy work of breaking wind that will not only drive the devil away, but make him afraid because already the cancerous bowels are returning to health and life - Ha!

=========
Psalm 27
(Of David)
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evil men advance against me
to devour my flesh, [a]
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his [b] face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
O God my Savior.

10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD;
lead me in a straight path
because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very much liked what you wrote...next time you're in the area, we must get together!
Laura W.